Friday, April 14, 2017

Cave Spring Historical Society Update 2017 Spring News Letter




SSY
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH TO UNDERGO MAJOR RENOVATION FOR WEDDINGS, MEETINGS
3/9/17 -- The Presbyterian Church on the Alabama Road is being repainted and major repairs done. The Historical Society owns the church and the Board of Directors approved the work to be done by a local contractor. Work has already begun this past month.
The renovation work will re-purpose the building to serve the public for weddings, other public meetings. The original church pews will be restored.
GREEN HOTEL TO BE DECONSTRUCTED
4/4/17  -- A membership meeting of the Cave Spring Historical Society confirmed the decision by the Board of Directors to deconstruct the Green Hotel. Work is expected to begin soon. The hotel was believed to have been built between 1826 and 1840 as an addition to the Vann Cherokee Cabin next door. But the centuries have totally destroyed the underpinnings of the building.
The Historical Society has come to the conclusion that the cost of renovation and the requirements of a building inspector makes the restoration of the building prohibitive.
CABIN PUBLIC HOURS SAT & SUN 1 to 4 pm
Hours of open to public was announced by the Historical Society: Saturday and Sundays from 1:00 to 4:00 pm.  Society docents will be on hand for a tour and answer questions.
Work on the Vann Cabin, mainly landscaping, will hold off until the deconstruction of the Green Hotel. The use of heavy of equipment in the deconstruction would hamper landscaping attempts.
Meanwhile, the Education Committee is assembling materials to be used in Vann Cabin presentations, and education packets. This involves historical research first.
CABOOSE WAITING FOR A BED
The red, wooden, 1920 Ohio & Midland RR Caboose that has been setting on the corner of Perry Farm Road and Alabama Road for many decades. The Historical Society has been given the opportunity to take [possession of it provided we move it.) To move it a very heavy duty piece of equipment is needed to lift and move it to the corner of Love Street and Cedartown Road (on society property). A large excavation of perhaps 1 foot and a lot of gravel will have to be put down and the rails secured before the actual move. This project is awaiting the ways and means.
NEW OFFICERS, BOARD MEMBERS FOR SOCIETY
3/9/17 -- The Cave Spring Historical Society has elected a new board and officers. Mike Burton who was originally elected President for a 2nd term, has since resigned for personal reasons. The society Vice President, Loring Kirk was elected as the new President. Vice President is BW Abernathy; Secretary, Phil Davis; Treasurer, Rip Montgomery.
Aside from the above four officers (also members of the board of Directors) are other members of the Board of Directors: Callie Fricks, Curt Burch, Steve Craw, Linda Hall, Chris Lemons, and Martha Jane Montgomery Christa Jackson

                                                                     President
                                                                     Loring Kirk